There are several key skills that you will need in order to be able to be successful in this job role. Take a look at some of the main skills listed below:
• Good technical and practical skills. You need to understand and be able to carry out various food development techniques.
• A strong knowledge of the industry and a genuine passion for food. If you can demonstrate this to your employers then you will advance quickly. They will respect your dedication and interest in the industry.
• This job does not just require a general understanding of food, but it also requires you to know about the science behind food. You will stand a better chance of getting a great job if you have studied something relevant. Relevant courses include things like food nutrition, food chemistry and biology.
• Knowledge of the food market. You must keep up to date with market trends and developments. Knowing some information about some of the major food brands is also useful. Some of the ways in which you can keep up to date include reading industry magazines and newspapers, talking to industry experts and engaging with the food community online.
Creativity. This job requires a great deal of creativity in order to be able to develop new and market leading products. You need to be able to generate new ideas on a regular basis.
• Research skills. You will need experience of carrying out research projects. This is because food development specialists need to be able to predict future trends. Make sure you are able to make use of various research methods and can analyze research results effectively.
• The ability to work well in a team. This is because food technologists are expected to work with various other food industry professionals in order to achieve an end goal. Some of the teams that food technologists have to work with include marketing, packaging, financial, nutritional and legal teams.
If you think that you posses most of the above skills, then this could be a great fit for you. You never know, you could become a food development specialist and it could turn out to be your dream job!